Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Silver Scales


I've been pulling my hair out trying to think of a great December post. Thanks to my children, there are 3 Christmas trees of assorted shapes and sizes, all over the house. ("Oh mom, that poor little tree looks so lonesome sitting here in the store next to all these other big trees!") So, while I have an abundance of trees and tinsel, there's nary a Christmas doll in sight. So how about the next best thing! A mermaid!!! I know it brings to mind one of my favorite holiday tunes:

"Silver Scales,
silver scales...
it's swimming time
in the ocean!"

Hum along! I know you know the tune!!!

This is my doll Naiad. Poor dear doesn't actually have a name. That's as much her fault as it is mine. Every time
I have asked her what she is called by her mer-friends, she just rolls her eyes and flips her tail at me! Cheeky!


Naiad would be about 18" tall from the top of her head to the bottom of her fin if she stretched out. She is sculpted from paper clay and painted with genesis paints and acrylic paints.

I think the real reason she's a bit testy is that I overheard she doesn't have her Christmas shopping finished.
Not that I would know anything about that....

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I can only imagine the ammount of work that must go into making one of your beautiful dolls! She is quite gorgeous and I love the mesh fabric you chose.
Karla

Blue Mermaid Cafe..... said...

She is absouloutly divine! xoxo Nita

Anonymous said...

Dear Gaia,
It's a long time that your page is on my blog links and today I received a message from another artist, Patricia. And so it is with great respect that I say … TAG, YOUR IT! Post five things about yourself on your blog.. . to learn the rules and more… visit my blog! http://mylaceadventures.blogspot.com/

Your little creations are so cute and all you are creating ! Your little bears are so sweet . . . I look forward to seeing your newest creations!
Chantal

Unknown said...

Beautiful, beautiful. I cannot imagine what your fabric stash looks like with all of the unique materials you use on your dolls! I love the re-purposing of the vase/ lamp base for your mer-chick to perch on. :)

Anonymous said...

Angela, your work continues to inspire and astound me. This gorgeous girl is no exception; she's positively divine!

On other notes, I'm laughing here, because I see Chantal tagged you; I have, too! You can visit my blog to check out your appearance there at: http://potbellyarts.typepad.com/the_potbelly_pixie/2007/12/ive-been-tagged.html

Susan said...

DARN! You got tagged TWICE! LOL

Hello! said...

Ok... I'll be good for Christmas and won't tag you for the third time in a row... although I'm really really tempted! LOL :)

The mermaid is fantastic!!! They are not my favourite fantasy characters, but this one is very very beautiful. It must be the natural pose, the unusual tail, the always so detailed and expressive face... I didn't know you could go into so much detail with paperclay!
Great!!!

... and I'll be good... I'm not going to tag you for the third time in a row...:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Angela:

I just spotted Naiad below your Christmas post--don't know how I missed her before. She is gorgeous!! Wow!! You just keep outdoing yourself.

Love & hugs -- Rita

Cheryl said...

I love mermaids and this one is exquisite. Her face is lovely and she sits so regally on her stand.

Lead Abatement Roseville said...

Nice blog thanks for possting